Tools and information on your path to a family medicine career
Jump to: The Physician You Always Wanted to Be • PCMH • Opportunities • Residency, Fellowships
BECOME THE PHYSICIAN YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO BE
Pennsylvania is home to 55 family medicine residency programs, all of which have active voices in the PAFP. With the commitment of the programs, the PAFP has come close to 100 percent resident membership for the past several years, bringing our more-than 800 resident members services, resources, and opportunities designed to enrich their residency experience.
Awards programs, leadership opportunities, conferences and advocacy tools are among the services our members value. Unique services for residents are equally important, the development of which has been led by the leaders of the PAFP Resident Assembly.
THE PATIENT-CENTERED MEDICAL HOME
By residency (but hopefully sooner!), you'll be familiar with the concept of the Patient-Centered Medical Home(PCMH). The PAFP is at the forefront of the PCMH movement, because PCMH is the only model that will lead to true reform in the health care world: better patient care, fairer pay for family physicians, and more satisfied health care teams working at the highest level of their training.
OTHER RESIDENT OPPORTUNITIES AND INFORMATION
Check out the grid below to learn everything you'll want to know about being a resident member of the Pennsylvania Academy of Family Physicians.
Membership in the PAFP and AAFP opens a window to great leadership opportunities.
- Available leadership opportunities: The Resident Assembly represents the interests of residents in the PAFP. The Resident Chair sits on the Board of Directors and, with the Vice Chair and Delegates, sits on the Resident and Student Affairs Commission. We invite all resident members to participate in the annual meeting of the Resident Assembly and run for elected office or to be a commission representative.
- Meet your resident leaders: Say hello to your elected resident leaders! They'll gladly answer any questions you might have about resident involvement in the PAFP.
- Teaching awards: In residency, you've been lucky to learn from physicians who have played an important role in your life - helping you get closer to your dream of being the best physician you can be. Honor those who have inspired you most - you know they deserve it!
The PAFP offers plenty of assistance to help you through your residency.
- Loan repayment and visa waivers: The Pennsylvania Department of Health and National Health Service Corps offer physician loan repayment programs.
- AAFP resident tools: The AAFP has assembled a great list of useful tools about advocacy, education, curriculum and more.
- Job opportunities listings: The PAFP wants to support residents to stay and practice in Pennsylvania. FPJobsOnline allows you to search for jobs by specialty and location, or post your resume privately.The AAFP provides AAFP CareerLink to connect family physicians with opportunities. Also check out our PAFP job opportunities page!
- PracticalProf: Time-efficient teaching tips for use in rural offices or hospitals.
- Resident Teachers: Share best practice approaches to resident teaching and find opportunities to collaborate.
Because you're a leader in your community for your profession and your patients, the PAFP works to provide you tools and evidence to help you advocate for your patients’ health and for a strong primary care system. Elected officials locally and nationally need to hear from you how decisions they make affect primary care and public health, and why they should care.
- Government Affairs: Protecting the interests of family physicians through lobbying efforts.
- Practice Advocacy: Helping member practices and physicians deal with health plans.
- PAFP-PAC: Furthering the goals and objectives of family medicine by supporting candidates who stand up for the interests of family physicians.
Conferences and Events
With membership in the PAFP, a whole world of exciting conferences, meetings and events opens before you!
And don't forget to join us on social media!
RESIDENCY AND FELLOWSHIPS
We've put Pennsylvania's 29 family medicine residency programs on the map below -click here for an alphabetical directory of the family medicine residency programs. There are also fellowship programs in faculty development, research, geriatric medicine, palliative careand sports medicine offered in Pennsylvania. Click here for the full listing, including your key contact at each program.