Introducing the 2018 PAFP Award Winners!
The Pennsylvania Academy of Family Physicians is pleased to announce the winner of its 2018 awards: Family Physician of the Year Dr. Michael Gaudiose! Please read his biography below.
2018 Family Physician of the Year
Dr. Michael Gaudiose, MD of Chambersburg, Franklin County, the PAFP’s 2018 Family Physician of the Year, began his medical journey as an undergraduate at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. He attended the Ohio State University School of Medicine in Columbus, Ohio, and completed his family practice residency at Akron City Hospital in Akron, Ohio.
In 1980, Gaudiose founded Cumberland Valley Family Physicians in Chambersburg, Franklin County with two colleagues, offering a full complement of family medicine services, including obstetrics and hospital inpatient care. He practiced there for 35 years before transitioning to Dunham Army Health Clinic at the Army War College in Carlisle, Cumberland County.
Gaudiose’s practice experience hasn’t been limited to an office in central Pennsylvania. He has served as the school and teams physician for Chambersburg Area High School and Wilson College in Chambersburg, a physician advisor for Head Start and the Borough of Chambersburg’s police and fire departments; he’s also volunteered his services for the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and has embarked on four medical missions trips to Honduras.
His compassion and care, his sense of humor, and his heart for service have endeared Gaudiose to his colleagues and patients.
“He treats every patient with the highest regard and takes the time to truly listen to them and understand why they have come to see him. My family has been blessed with excellent health, so our visits are always routine checkups, but my husband says that he has never had a doctor more competent or personable then Dr. Gaudiose,” said one of his patients. “He is the epitome of a family physician.”
“As a clinician, he is simply without parallel,” said a friend and colleague who has known Gaudiose since childhood. “I have had both the good fortune of working alongside him, as well as the poor fortune of having to follow in his footsteps in caring for many of his patients … anyone who knows him well knows he carries a flaming torch of passion for our specialty and for his patients.”
“It is with smiles and our hearts full of joy that we offer the highest recommendation for Dr. Michael Gaudiose for consideration for Family Physician of the Year,” wrote a long list of Dr. Gaudiose’s colleagues in their letter of nomination. “We all know he is our champion of Dunham U.S. Army Health Clinic and the U.S. Army War College. Please help us make him the champion for Pennsylvania’s Family Physician of the Year.”
Congratulations, Pennsylvania family medicine champion Dr. Michael Gaudiose, for earning the PAFP’s 2018 Family Physician of the Year Award!
Meet the Past Winners
Family Physician of the Year
- 2017: Anna Doubeni, MD (Philadelphia, Philadelphia County)
- 2017: Mary Fabian, MD (Allentown, Lehigh County)
- 2016: Christopher Echterling, MD (York, York County)
- 2015: Richard Harker, MD (Mechanicsburg, Cumberland County)
- 2014: Craig Johnston, DO (Erie, Erie County)
- 2013: Elizabeth Edmunds, MD (Reading, Berks County)
- 2012: Robert Fawcett, MD (York, York County)
- 2011: Edmund Guelig, MD (Wellsboro, Tioga County)
- 2010: James Devlin, MD (Brockway, Jefferson County)
- 2009: Daniel Lovestrand, MD (Seneca, Venango County)
Exemplary Teacher of the Year
- 2016: Dave O'Gurek, MD (Philadelphia, Philadelphia County)
- 2015: Robert Langan, MD (Laurys Station, Lehigh County)
- 2014: Patrick McManus, MD (Philadelphia, Philadelphia County)
- 2013: Gordon Zubrod, MD (York, York County)
- 2012: Amy Crawford-Faucher, MD (West Chester, Chester County)
- 2011: Maria Ghetu, MD (Bethlehem, Lehigh and Northampton counties)
- 2011: Robert Yanoshak, DO (Plains, Luzerne County)
- 2010: Jeffrey Kirchner, MD (Lancaster, Lancaster County)
- 2009: David Nicklin, MD (Philadelphia, Philadelphia County)